'Ff'lo (fflo) wrote,
'Ff'lo
fflo

The Perils of Paulisa, Pt. II

[cont'd from here]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Antenna Saga of the Millenium
or
How A Small Solved Problem Is a Big Deal
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CHAPTER TWO, In Which An Antenna is Procured, Research Is Completed, and Then Very Little Happens But Blathering Analysis


Having secured the broken antenna & decided I needed to come up with some fix (not only jonesin' for radio in the car, but thinking no radio might hurt the vehicle's already-piddly resale value, should I manage at some point in the fantasy future to replace the sore spot that is the Pam Dawber), I managed to find, on antennaX.com, a cheap alternative to a power antenna: the "EuroStyle" rubber non-power replacement for the apparently many broken-off power antennas there are in the world [see this somehow-amusing gallery of this item on a variety of vehicles]. Just $14.99 + shipping, purchase price refundable if you manage to get after the job within 30 days and conclude that you're not up to it. What the hell, I thought, typing in the digits of one of my credit cards. Worth a shot. Beats the hundreds for the real McCoy.

A few days later, and I had the cheesy little thing in my hands. Now it was just a matter of taking a stab at replacement. I'd printed out the half-assed instructions at the website; I had the half-assed instructions on the back of the package. I was ready to go illicitly consult the Chilton's manual at Murray's, taking notes surreptitiously, for details on the relevant part of the rear end of a '99 Taurus wagon, but had found out (after complaining to homovegetarian) that Chilton's online database can be accessed through an Ann Arbor Library patron account---so I had the printout of its 3/4-assed instructions, with only two significant flaws: no diagram (illustration is so helpful in automotive matters), and an assumption that I was replacing the power antenna with another power antenna.

What happened next, though, was a delay. What caused the delay? My best take on that one is that is wasn't simply the kind of procrastination about chores I tend to fall into when left to my own devices. It certainly wasn't a plethora of excellent cassettes to listen to, making the missing radio irrelevant: I ran out pretty quickly of unlabelled mix tapes from my salad days, and those were just so much more fun (with the surprise factor) than any labelled, all-one-album sides that I listened to tapes for only maybe a fortnight.

Part of the problem may have been that a preliminary examination of the area involved in the repair ---behind the spare tire inside a side panel of the trunk-ish area next to the jumpseat--- revealed quite a number of options for what nuts were the nuts on the bolts in question---not to mention the news that there was some insulation to be pulled aside and a likelihood that I didn't have the proper tools for the job. Those factors weren't going to stop my effort to save a coupla hundred bucks, but they might have contributed to the delay. Mainly, however, the culprit was the psychological funk I'd fallen into, with its close association to a theme of unstaunchable deterioration---household, automotive, and other. An unfortunate coincidence of various emergent cases of disrepair combined with other emotive difficulties to prompt me for a good bit to want nothing but to be unconscious, literally even more than figuratively.

As you might guess, however, eventually I did get back on the project. Sunday afternoon, in fact. And if you join me again tomorrow, you'll get to hear the good stuff.

{Remember: a good serial .plan makes you wait for it, like one of those groaner story jokes, playing it out at some length...}
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment